Guest Post: Coconut Oil Zucchini Bread
Did you love my first guest food writer?? Well, get ready for more loving! Today I’m introducing you to Brandy Another girl after my heart. She’s the sweetest!! Check out her site after you grab a view of her post below, trust me zucchini never looked so good. There’s lots of goodies you are gonna love! Pumpkin Butter, Gingerbread Syrup , and much more.
Hello Confessions of a Recipe Junkie readers I’m Brandy of the food blog Nutmeg Nanny. Today I’m doing a little guest post. I hope you all enjoy!
I know that zucchini bread is usually something you see in the late summer but I like to shake things up. I often look at the discount vegetable shelf at my grocery store and I recently saw some zucchini that needed to be bought and used. I had been craving zucchini bread so that is exactly what I made.
I took a basic recipe and decided to swap out vegetable oil for coconut oil. This is not the first time I have made a quick bread using coconut oil. It’s my favorite! If you have never used coconut oil you should definitely try it out (make sure you buy virgin non-refined coconut oil). Also, to substitute vegetable oil you have to melt down the coconut oil because at room temperature it’s solid. After you melt the oil let it cool slightly so it’s not piping hot as you add it to the batter.
Coconut Oil Zucchini Bread:
- 3 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup melted coconut oil
- 4 eggs – beaten
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (I left nuts out of my bread)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine flour, salt, nutmeg, baking soda, cinnamon and sugar.
- In a medium bowl add oil, eggs, water, zucchini and lemon juice. Stir together.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry, add nuts (if using) and fold in. Bake in 2 standard loaf pans, sprayed with nonstick spray, for 1 hour or until a tooth pick comes out clean. You can also bake in 5 mini loaf pans for about 45 minutes.